CORRECTIONS - Accepting Applications NEW STARTING WAGE $23.06
THE KNOX COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF CORRECTIONAL OFFICER YEAR-ROUND AND ONLINE. CLICK BELOW TO APPLY!
Applications are also available at the Knox County Sheriff's Department, 152 S. Kellogg St, Galesburg, IL 61401
The Knox County Sheriff's Department Merit Commission has amended the Merit Rules regarding Hiring Requirements, Applications, Examinations and Testing.
Duties of a Correctional Officer
Correctional Officers employed by the Knox County Sheriff’s Department are sworn Deputies assigned to the Correctional Division . Correctional Officers are responsible for the day-to-day operations and security at the Knox County Jail. Operations in the Jail are conducted from three main areas: Booking Room, Secure Area (Inmate Pods) and the Control Room.
Some of the duties of a Correctional Deputies are:
- Protecting the Knox County Jail from Security Breaches
- Maintaining General Order and Protecting Inmates
- Booking Arrestees (finger printing, photographing, etc.)
- Conducting Cell Checks and Searches
- Prisoner Transportation
- Maintaining Prisoner Records and Property
- Serving Arrest Warrants
- Coordinating Inmate Programs (Visitation, Bible Study, etc.)
- Controlling inmate and visitor movement throughout the facility
The Correctional Division offers opportunities for advancement and promotion. The current rank structure consists of three (3) Sergeants, a Chief of Operations and a Jail Administrator. Correctional Deputies must meet the criteria for promotion and then complete the testing process established by the Knox County Merit Commission.
Being a Correctional Officer at the Knox County Jail can be a physically demanding and mentally challenging job.
Current Correctional Officer Benefits:
- Starting wage of $23.06/hour
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 30 Mile Residency
- Opportunity for Paid Overtime or Compensatory Time
- Paid Training
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, Personal Days & Sick Time
- Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) Labor Union
- IMRF Retirement Program
- Initial Issue of Uniforms
- Yearly Uniform & Equipment Allowance
For questions regarding employment or hiring procedures, contact:
Captain Brian Brady
Knox County Sheriff's Department
152. S. Kellogg Street
Galesburg, IL 61401